In India, B.Tech. (Bachelor of Technology) and BE (Bachelor of Engineering) are the same and offered in engineering disciplines.
Bachelor of Technology or Bachelor of Engineering programs include:
- 3-year BE/B.Tech after Diploma in Engineering
- 4-year BE/B.Tech after Grade 12
Admission is usually through an entrance examination like Joint Entrance Examination (JEE).
Bachelor of Engineering
A Bachelor of Engineering is a first professional undergraduate academic degree awarded to a student after three to five years of studying engineering at an accredited university.
In the UK
A B.Eng. degree will be accredited by one of the Engineering Council’s professional engineering institutions as suitable for registration as an incorporated engineer or chartered engineer with further study to masters level.
The degree from a Canadian university can be accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB). Alternatively, it might be accredited directly by another professional engineering institution, such as the US-based Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). The B.Eng. contributes to the route to chartered engineer (UK), registered engineer or licensed professional engineer and has been approved by representatives of the profession.
Bachelor of Technology fields
A Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Technology degree will usually be undertaken in one field of engineering, which is sometimes noted in the degree postnominals, as in BE (Aero) or BEng (Elec). Common fields for the Bachelor of Engineering degree include the following fields:
1. Aerospace Engineering
2. Agricultural Engineering
3. Architectural Engineering
4. Automotive Engineering
5. Biological Engineering
- including Biochemical, Biomedical, Biosystems and Biomolecular
6. Chemical Engineering
- deals with the process of converting raw materials or chemicals into more useful or valuable forms
7. Clean Technology
- energy, water and raw materials and other inputs more efficiently and productively. Create less waste or toxicity and deliver equal or superior performance.
8. Computer Engineering
9. Computer Science and Engineering
10. Civil Engineering
- a wide-ranging field, including building engineering, civil engineering, construction engineering, industrial, manufacturing, mechanical, materials and control engineering
11. Electrical and Computer Engineering/Electronic Engineering
- very diverse field, including Computer Engineering, Communication/Communication systems engineering, Information Technology, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Microelectronic Engineering, Microelectronics, Nanotechnology, Mechatronics, Software Engineering, Systems, Wireless and Telecommunications, Photovoltaic and Power Engineering
12. Electrical Controls Engineering
- a relatively new and more specialized subfield of Electrical Engineering that focuses on integrating Electrical Controls and their programming.
13. Engineering Management
- the application of engineering principles to the planning and operational management of industrial and manufacturing operations
14. Environmental Engineering
- includes fields such as Environmental, Geological, Geomatic, Mining, Marine and Ocean engineering
15. Fire Protection Engineering
- the application of science and engineering principles to protect people and their environments from the destructive effects of fire and smoke.
16. Geological Engineering
- a hybrid discipline that comprises elements of civil engineering, mining engineering, petroleum engineering and earth sciences.
17. Geomatics Engineering
- acquisition, modeling analysis and management of spatial data. Focuses on satellite positioning, remote sensing, land surveying, wireless location and Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
18. Geotechnical Engineering
- a combination of civil and mining engineering and involves the analysis of earth materials.
19. Information Engineering
- same as Information Technology.
20. Industrial Engineering
- studies facilities planning, plant layout, work measurement, job design, methods engineering, human factors, manufacturing processes, operations management, statistical quality control, systems, psychology and basic operations management
21. Instrumentation Engineering
- a branch of engineering dealing with measurement
22. Integrated Engineering
- a multi-disciplinary, design-project-based engineering degree program.
23. Leather Engineering
- an applied chemistry type based on leather and its application.
24. Manufacturing Engineering
- Includes methods engineering, manufacturing process planning, tool design, metrology, Robotics, Computer integrated manufacturing, operations management and manufacturing management.
25. Materials Engineering
- includes metallurgy, polymer and ceramic engineering
26. Marine Engineering
- includes the engineering of boats, ships, oil rigs and any other marine vessel or structure, as well as oceanographic engineering. Development, design, operation and maintenance of watercraft propulsion and on-board systems and oceanographic technology.
27. Mechanical Engineering
- includes engineering of total systems where mechanical science principles apply to objects in motion including transportation, energy, buildings, aerospace and machine design. Explores the applications of the theoretical fields of Mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, materials science, structural analysis, manufacturing and electricity.
28. Mechatronics Engineering
- includes a combination of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, telecommunications engineering, control engineering and computer engineering.
29. Mining Engineering
- deals with discovering, extracting, beneficiating, marketing and utilizing mineral deposits.
30. Nuclear Engineering
- customarily includes nuclear fission, and related topics such as heat/thermodynamics transport, nuclear fuel or other related technology. May also include radiation protection, particle detectors and medical physics.
31. Petroleum Engineering
- a field of engineering concerned with the activities related to exploration and production of hydrocarbons from the Earth’s subsurface.
32. Plastics Engineering
- A vast field which includes plastic processing, mold designing…
33. Production Engineering
- It includes engineering of machines, people, process and management.
34. Textile Engineering
- based on the conversion of three types of fiber into yarn, then fabric, then textiles
35. Robotics and Automation Engineering
- relates all engineering fields for implementing in robotics and automation
36. Structural Engineering
- analyze, design, plan and research structural components, systems and loads.
37. Software Engineering
- methods and experience to the design, implementation, testing and documentation of software
38. Systems Engineering
- focuses on the analysis, design, development and organization of complex systems.